By: Rebecca Cho
Whether you are a CEO of a Fortune 500 Company or starting out as a small-business owner, the importance of leading and managing is crucial. A common misconception is that if you are managing, you are leading and if you are leading, you are managing. While this may occur, there should always be a distinction between what you are managing and whom you are leading.
Managing focuses on supervising results and making sure everyone is on the same page in terms goals and expectations. For example, management can arise from executing campaigns and overseeing the plans through checkpoints and/or meetings. Characteristics of good management include:
· Knowing when to delegate work
· Organization – keeping track of projects and employees
· Giving specific instructions
· Communicating constructive feedback to employees and team
Leading emphasizes a plethora of abilities that influences those who are working for you in the direction you want your business to go in. It allows your team or employees to follow your plan by becoming empowered to follow through with future projects and goals. Characteristics of effective leadership include:
· Confidence in your role and your business
· Commitment to being a leader and to your team
· A vision of what you want your business to become
· Being cognizant of who you are leading
· Knowing when to listen and when to direct
Similar to how a business doesn’t grow overnight, your leadership and management skills will take time to develop.
Here are some websites that have great tips on leadership and management development:
Also, check out these awesome videos on good management and effective leadership!
Visit us on the web: www.startsmartgh.com Send us an email: email@example.com